Sterile Processing Tech - Night Shift - (200000M2)
Description This position requires the overall inspection, preparation, receipt and issuance of sterile processing equipment and supplies to the Operating Room
and inpatient units. Performance of these technical tasks are integral to the support of clinical operations of the Operating Room.
Services at the main hospital campus is equipped and available to provide 24
hours a day, seven days a week surgical care.
Perioperative Services Department consists of the following areas:
• Surgery Preparation
• Operating Rooms (17 O.R.’s and 2
• Post Anesthesia Care Unit (PACU-12
prep and 35 post anesthesia bays)
• Sterile Processing Department (SPD)
• Ambulatory Surgery Center (ASC) in
our delivery of care we aim for quality healthcare that is: patient centered,
safe, timely, efficient, equitable, and effective. The department is engaged in
quality, performance improvement and research to provide care that has the
patient and family in mind.
Services’ mission is facilitated through a culture of safety. The focus of care
is on the patient, family, and the environment. The department strives for an
environment that enables the provision for safe patient care, excellence in
performance, improvement in our process, and positive health outcomes.
National surgery center performs nearly 17,000 procedures each year on infants,
children and adolescents, including kidney transplants, scoliosis, hernia
repairs, and procedures to treat disorders and abnormalities of the esophagus
and trachea. Other special services include corneal implants and cataract
surgeries, and we specialize in cochlear implant for the ear. Children’s
surgeons perform laser surgery and employ many types of minimally invasive
techniques such as laparoscopy and thoracoscopy.
National has a world-class team of pediatric surgeons, anesthesiologists,
nurses, and support staff who have developed a variety of programs designed
with children in mind. One of our newest additions is the DaVinci robot and MRI
Qualifications Minimum Education
High School Diploma or GED
Minimum Work Experience
Specific Requirements and Preferences
6 months to 1 year related experience (Required)
Experience in health care related field (Required)
Sterile Processing experience (Preferred)
Moderate computer ability
Communication Skills Training (Inclusive of written and verbal skills).
Knowledge of aseptic technique. Basic calculations (addition, subtraction, multiplication and division).
Human relations and interpersonal skills.
Good telephone etiquette.
Ability to maintain interpersonal skills; i.e. friendly and polite attitude towards families and staff
1. Supportive of patients, families and staff; report any concerns or issues regarding preoperative care to appropriate personnel.
2. Direct any questions regarding preoperative preparation (case preparation) to Clinical Manager of SPD.
3. Provide a safe, efficient, and supportive environment for surgical patient through the quality of processed equipment and supplies for the surgical patient.
4. Assemble needed paperwork for the patient.
Instrument and Supply Quality and Maintenance
1. Receive, wash, inspect, prepare and issue instruments, trays and other equipment according to policies and procedures.
2. Inspect and prepare surgical items for sterilization.
3. Stamp, date, store and rotate items; issue sterile and nonsterile items; and inspect for outdated items.
4. Maintain daily productivity levels.
5. Communicate with Operating Room staff about the needs and activities of the inner and outer core, supplies, case carts, instruments, linens and waste.
1. Identify the principles of sterile technique.
2. Demonstrate a surgical conscience at all times.
3. Select and prepare supplies and instruments for the sterilizer.
4. Utilize the appropriate sterilizer for sterilization purposes (i.e.: flash sterilizer vs. washer sterilizer).
5. Apply the correct technique of disinfection and follow manufacturer protocols.
1. Load and operate washers, dryer, ultrasonic cleaner , sterilizers and cart wash machines.
2. Follow established policy and procedure for building instrument sets according to count sheets.
3. Display knowledge and dexterity in the utilization of required instrumentation and supplies.
4. Anticipate emergency or unusual circumstances associated with equipment needs and supply availability.
5. Anticipate the needs of the surgical team.
6. Demonstrate organizational skills when preparing for surgical cases.
7. Maintain surveillance of sterilization; maintain and monitor the daily records and indicators; follow recall procedures.
8. Implement procedures to ensure adherence to sterilization requirements.
1. Speak up when team members appear to exhibit unsafe behavior or performance
2. Continuously validate and verify information needed for decision making or documentation
3. Stop in the face of uncertainty and take time to resolve the situation
4. Demonstrate accurate, clear and timely verbal and written communication
5. Actively promote safety for patients, families, visitors and co-workers
6. Attend carefully to important details - practicing Stop, Think, Act and Review in order to self-check behavior and performance
1. Assist the Operating Room staff to maintain appropriate level of supplies and inventory of surgical procedures.
2. Assist the Operating Room staff to maintain inventory of all operating equipment.
3. Plan with the Operating Room staff for the availability of equipment needed for the intraoperative patient (i.e. drills, ;laparoscopic equipment; specialty items).
4. Report and communicate to Manager of any issues in regard to supply maintenance (i.e. low stock; equipment failures).
1. Partner in the mission and upholds the core principles of the organization
2. Committed to diversity and recognizes value of cultural ethnic differences
3. Demonstrate personal and professional integrity
4. Maintain confidentiality at all times
1. Anticipate and responds to customer needs; follows up until needs are met
1. Demonstrate collaborative and respectful behavior
2. Partner with all team members to achieve goals
3. Receptive to others’ ideas and opinions
1. Contribute to a positive work environment
2. Demonstrate flexibility and willingness to change
3. Identify opportunities to improve clinical and administrative processes
4. Make appropriate decisions, using sound judgment
Cost Management/Financial Responsibility
1. Use resources efficiently
2. Search for less costly ways of doing things
Primary Location: District of Columbia-Washington
Work Locations: Sheikh Zayed Campus 111 Michigan Avenue Washington 20010
Job: Allied Health
Organization: Surgery COERegular / Temporary: R (Regular)Position Status: FT - Full-TimeShift: NightWork Schedule: 11p-7:30a
Job Posting: Oct 6, 2020, 3:44:50 PM