Nov 24, 2020
Children's National Medical Center
District of Columbia, USA
Genetic Counselor - (200000GI)
Description The Genetic Counselor I will be responsible for providing genetic counseling services in a clinical, research, or laboratory environment. Obtain medical and family histories, review pertinent medical records. Assess, interpret, and report laboratory diagnostic results (if applicable). In addition, the GC1 may counsel families regarding underlying diagnosis/medical findings including natural history and inheritance pattern (if applicable). Master's degree from an ABGC/ACGC accredited genetic counseling training program. Board certified or eligible.
Qualifications Minimum Education
Specific Requirements and Preferences
ABGC/ACGC accredited genetic counseling training program (Required)
Minimum Work Experience
Required Licenses and Certifications
Board certified or board eligible.
6. Obtain medical and family history of patients and review pertinent medical records.
4. Perform risk assessment relevant to the pattern of inheritance pertinent to the specific disorder(s) that have been diagnosed in the family, and review recurrence risks for at-risk family members.
7. May perform a psycho-social assessment and provide psycho-social support; counsel patients regarding available testing options and explore the risks and benefits of testing.
6. Complete chart notes or summaries of the counseling session for the family, medical records, and the referring physician with guidance from a senior genetic counselor.
6. Provide appropriate written information to families about support groups and resources for their specific disorder or circumstance; facilitate referrals as needed.
7. Respond to provider and/or patient's questions/concerns in a timely manner.
1. Review current literature and recommended guidelines for upcoming patients or reporting laboratory testing results.
2. Provide up-to-date information regarding clinical trials and/or research as they relate to patient care.
3. Remain up to date with current genetic literature.
1. Communicate with mentor regarding progress and expectations on a monthly basis.
Clinical Laboratory Services (If Applicable)
1. Provides basic provider services (e.g. follow-up phone calls, requests information or repeat specimens, etc).
3. Aid in evaluating and reporting testing results, including variant interpretation.
4. Aid in the development and utilization management of genetic tests.
1. Partner in the mission and upholds the core principles of the organization
2. Committed to diversity and recognizes value of cultural ethnic differences
3. Demonstrate personal and professional integrity
4. Maintain confidentiality at all times
1. Anticipate and responds to customer needs; follows up until needs are met
1. Demonstrate collaborative and respectful behavior
2. Partner with all team members to achieve goals
3. Receptive to others’ ideas and opinions
1. Contribute to a positive work environment
2. Demonstrate flexibility and willingness to change
3. Identify opportunities to improve clinical and administrative processes
4. Make appropriate decisions, using sound judgment
Cost Management/Financial Responsibility
1. Use resources efficiently
2. Search for less costly ways of doing things
1. Speak up when team members appear to exhibit unsafe behavior or performance
2. Continuously validate and verify information needed for decision making or documentation
3. Stop in the face of uncertainty and takes time to resolve the situation
4. Demonstrate accurate, clear and timely verbal and written communication
5. Actively promote safety for patients, families, visitors and co-workers
6. Attend carefully to important details - practicing Stop, Think, Act and Review in order to self-check behavior and performance
Primary Location: District of Columbia-Washington
Work Locations: Sheikh Zayed Campus 111 Michigan Avenue Washington 20010
Job: Allied Health
Organization: COE Hospital-Based SpecliatiesRegular / Temporary: R (Regular)Position Status: FT - Full-TimeShift: VariableWork Schedule: weekdays
Job Posting: Mar 5, 2020, 7:35:25 AM