Jan 11, 2021
Children's National Medical Center
District of Columbia, USA
Respiratory Care Practitioner Level II- PRN 7am to 7pm - (2000020M)
Description Under general direction of the department manager , according to departmental and hospital standards, the Respiratory Care Practitioner, referred to as RCP-II, is responsible for administering all levels of Respiratory Care to treat patients with cardiopulmonary dysfunction and/or disabilities. RCP-II will function to the level that is usual and customary for Acute Care, ER, and Critical Care (either PICU or NICU) competency and orientation. The RCP-II will maintain all skills and knowledge sufficient to provide safe, effective, and appropriate care to all ages of patients including neonates, infants, toddlers, children, adolescents, and adults.
Several Full- Time and PRN Positions Available-
This position is " PRN- As Needed"
Qualifications Minimum Education
Specific Requirements and Preferences
Completion of a minimum two years of college training in an AMA approved Respiratory Care Program. (Required)
Minimum Work Experience
Specific Requirements and Preferences
Critical care environment (pediatric or adult). (Required)
Active Member of American Association of Respiratory Care
Must be able to demonstrate competency of all aspects of acute care, ER, and ICU delivery prior to completion of initial 90 days.
Administers all general Respiratory Therapy procedures, including humidity and aerosol therapy , lung inflation maneuvers, pulmonary secretion clearance, CP AP , BIP AP , and High-Flow Therapy .
Must demonstrate intermediate mechanical ventilator management skills including use of Nitric Oxide, Heliox, and set-up and management of HFOV .
Performs CPR as indicated.
Performs invasive and noninvasive monitoring and diagnostic procedures ascribed to specific care areas.
Works independently within the ER, Acute Care, and PICU and/or NICU; a minimum of 10 shifts a year in each area.
Must display sustained proficiency in these care areas as exhibited through department rotation schedule.
Adheres to policies and procedures established by Respiratory Care Services and Children’s National Health System.
Ability to organize, establish priorities, and to communicate effectively , both orally and in writing.
Must be able to perform under stressful situations using good clinical judgment.
Must demonstrate compassion and patient centered orientation when dealing with patients, families, and co-workers.
Must have ability to perform mathematical calculations.
Must maintain clinical skills and required continuing education credits for department and licensure including: BLS, P ALS, FIT Testing, annual skills review, in-services, etc.
Must have physical ability to perform all treatment modalities.
Must have physical ability to move and lift up to 50lbs; frequently endure long periods of standing and walking.
Must have basic computer skills.
Credentials and proficiency will be assessed during annual review to maintain status at the RCP-II Level.
Required Licenses and Certifications
Registered Respiratory Therapist Req
RCP License from District of Columbia DOH Health Regulation and Licensing Administration Req
1. Employee will perform all patient care procedures according to department and acceptable practice.
1. Employee will ensure all required written documentation and all data entry is thorough and complete.
1. Employee will annually attend a minimum of 4 department staff meetings in-person
2. Identify opportunities to improve clinical and administrative processes
Organizational Accountabilities (Staff)
Organizational Commitment/Identification 1. Anticipate and responds to customer needs; follows up until needs are met
Teamwork/Communication 1. Demonstrate collaborative and respectful behavior
2. Partner with all team members to achieve goals
3. Receptive to others’ ideas and opinions
Performance Improvement/Problem-solving 1. Contribute to a positive work environment
2. Demonstrate flexibility and willingness to change
3. Identify opportunities to improve clinical and administrative processes
4. Make appropriate decisions, using sound judgment
Cost Management/Financial Responsibility 1. Use resources efficiently
2. Search for less costly ways of doing things
Safety 1. Speak up when team members appear to exhibit unsafe behavior or performance
2. Continuously validate and verify information needed for decision making or documentation
3. Stop in the face of uncertainty and takes time to resolve the situation
4. Demonstrate accurate, clear and timely verbal and written communication
5. Actively promote safety for patients, families, visitors and co-workers
6. Attend carefully to important details - practicing Stop, Think, Act and Review in order to self-check behavior and performance
Primary Location: District of Columbia-Washington
Work Locations: Sheikh Zayed Campus 111 Michigan Avenue Washington 20010
Job: Allied Health
Organization: COE Hospital-Based SpecliatiesRegular / Temporary: R (Regular)Position Status: O - PRNShift: DayWork Schedule: 7A-7P
Job Posting: Dec 28, 2020, 11:05:37 AM