Under general direction of the department manager, according to departmental and hospital standards, the Respiratory Care Practitioner, referred to as RCP-I, is responsible for administering all levels of Respiratory Care to treat patients with cardiopulmonary dysfunction and/or disabilities. RCP-I will function to the level that is usual and customary for Acute Care and ER. The RCP-I will maintain all skills and knowledge sufficient to provide safe, effective, and appropriate care to all ages of patients including neonates, infants, toddlers, children, adolescents, and adults.
Associate's Degree - Completion of a minimum two years of college training in an AMA approved Respiratory Care Program. (Required)
Minimum Work Experience
1 year - Work experience in Respiratory Care (Preferred)
Successful completion of academic clinical rotations (Required)
Must be able to demonstrate competency of all aspects of acute care delivery and ER prior to completion of initial 90 days.
Administers all general Respiratory Therapy procedures, including humidity and aerosol therapy, lung inflation maneuvers, pulmonary secretion clearance, CP AP , BIP AP , and High-Flow Therapy .
Must demonstrate basic mechanical ventilator management skills including set-up, monitoring, and troubleshooting.
Performs CPR as indicated. Performs invasive and noninvasive monitoring and diagnostic procedures ascribed to specific care areas.
Works independently within the ER and all acute care areas.
Adheres to policies and procedures established by Respiratory Care Services and Children’s National Health System.
Ability to organize, establish priorities, and to communicate effectively , both orally and in writing.
Must be able to perform under stressful situations using good clinical judgment.
Must demonstrate compassion and patient centered orientation when dealing with patients, families, and co-workers.
Must have ability to perform mathematical calculations.
Must maintain clinical skills and required continuing education credits for department and licensure including: BLS, P ALS, FIT T esting, annual skills review, in-services, etc.
Must have physical ability to perform all treatment modalities.
Must have physical ability to move and lift up to 50lbs; frequently endure long periods of standing and walking.
Must have basic computer skills.
Required Licenses and Certifications
Registered Respiratory Therapist Required
RCP License from District of Columbia DOH Health Regulation and Licensing Administration Required
1. Employee will perform all patient care procedures according to department and acceptable practice.
1. Employee will ensure all required written documentation and all data entry is thorough and complete.
1. Employee will annually attend a minimum of 4 department staff meetings in-person
2. Identify opportunities to improve clinical and administrative processes
Organizational Accountabilities (Staff)
Organizational Commitment/Identification 1. Anticipate and responds to customer needs; follows up until needs are met
Teamwork/Communication 1. Demonstrate collaborative and respectful behavior
2. Partner with all team members to achieve goals
3. Receptive to others’ ideas and opinions
Performance Improvement/Problem-solving 1. Contribute to a positive work environment
2. Demonstrate flexibility and willingness to change
3. Identify opportunities to improve clinical and administrative processes
4. Make appropriate decisions, using sound judgment
Cost Management/Financial Responsibility 1. Use resources efficiently
2. Search for less costly ways of doing things
Safety 1. Speak up when team members appear to exhibit unsafe behavior or performance
2. Continuously validate and verify information needed for decision making or documentation
3. Stop in the face of uncertainty and takes time to resolve the situation
4. Demonstrate accurate, clear and timely verbal and written communication
5. Actively promote safety for patients, families, visitors and co-workers
6. Attend carefully to important details - practicing Stop, Think, Act and Review in order to self-check behavior and performance