Surgical Technologist - (2100012B)
The Surgical Technologist (ST) is an integral member of the surgical team. As a member of this multidisciplinary team, the ST will collaborate with team members to facilitate integrated and comprehensive care in the peri-operative environment. This position works under the direction and supervision of the registered nurse/circulating nurse . The ST functions in the scrub role providing assistance to the operating surgeon and assistants, preparing for the procedure and cleaning up afterward. The ST will demonstrate good peer and physician relationships to ensure high quality of patient care and to demonstrate professionalism in practice.
High School Diploma or GED
Specific Requirements and Preferences
Communication skills training (inclusive of English, written and verbal skills). (Required) And
Graduate of a surgical technologist program. (Required)
Minimum Work Experience
Specific Requirements and Preferences
Graduate of a surgical technologist program or an OR training program. Experience as an Surgical Technologist preferred. (Required)
Sterile Processing (Preferred)
Knowledge of aseptic technique.
Human relations and interpersonal skills.
Demonstrate a surgical conscience at all times.
Collaborate with RN and physicians in developing a plan of care for each patient
Assists in the setup of the operative field with equipment, instrumentation and supplies. Assures all equipment is functioning before use.
Ability to identify the basic surgical instruments by type, function and name.
Understands the importance of verification of exposure to sterilization process, checking the integrity of sterile packaging, and opening of appropriate supplies
Ability to identify major types of surgical intervention materials (i.e. catheters, drains, sheeting material, grafting material, sutures, stapling devices) their preparation and usage in specific surgical procedures.
Demonstrates anatomical and physiological knowledge for specified surgical procedures.
Maintains a safe, organized, clean, and comfortable environment for patients and co-workers.
Demonstrated the ability to perform basic calculations (add, subtract, multiply, and divide).
Uses supplies and disposables in a cost-effective manner to avoid waste
Supports the initiation and / or maintenance of preference cards to keep current
Serves as a clinical resource to support and develop peers
Demonstrates competency as a Surgical Technologist
1. Collaborates with RN and physician to develop a plan of care for each patient.
2. Prepare the Operating Room for surgical procedures; open supplies and equipment on the sterile field based on the surgical procedures and child’s age.
5. Identify and prepare basic sterile packs and trays.
6. Scrubs for routine and complex procedures.
7. Demonstrated knowledge of anatomy, procedures, instrumentation, equipment and supplies by anticipating the surgical needs at the field.
8. Demonstrates knowledge of process/procedure. Exhibits knowledge and ability to expertly identify, prepare, and operate standard and specialty equipment (drills, OR table, Jackson table, microscopes).
9. Demonstrates competent equipment operation, specific to area of service, during initial orientation, as new equipment is acquired, and annually if designated as a department competency.
1. Uses the appropriate method for care and handling of surgical instruments.
1. Anticipates needs of the surgical team.
1. Demonstrates dexterity and correctly passes instrumentation, supplies, medications and specimens to surgical team.
1. Hands medications, irrigation solutions, and flushes to surgeon within the sterile field.
3. Demonstrated good problem solving techniques related to supplies, instruments, equipment etc. in a timely organized manner
1. Demonstrated the principles of aseptic technique.
1. Maintains proper sterile field during surgical procedures.
1. Follow principle of correct hand scrub, gown and glove self and intra-operative team members.
4. Pass correct instrumentation, supplies, as needed by the surgical team.
1. Prepare irrigation solutions, medications, flushes, and hemostatic agents (i.e. thrombin, floseal etc.) as needed by the surgical team
Demonstrates the knowledge of risk and safety issues and uses measures to ensure optimal outcomes
1. Actively participates in Universal Protocol and timeout, including the fire risk assessment with the surgical team prior to the start of the surgical procedure according to hospital policy guidelines.
2. Validates surgical implants with RN and Surgeon.
3. Understands purpose of positioning devices and uses them correctly, following policy, to protect the patient from injury and to promote optimal exposure.
4. Handles all "sharps" in a safe and protective manner in consideration of self and others in supportive roles such as RTA's, RTS's, environmental services and SPD staff.
5. Follows established policies and procedures for surgical counts; initiates corrective action when counts are incorrect.
6. Verifies medications, concentrations, expiration dates of all medication received on the sterile filed in concert with RN and Anesthesia provider.
7. Verifies specimens at the end of each case following policy
8. Speak up when a team members appear to exhibit unsafe behavior or performance
9. Stop in the face of uncertainty and take time to resolve the situation
1. Continuously verify and validate information needed for decision making
1. Demonstrate accurate, clear and timely verbal and written communication
1. Actively promote safety for patients, families, visitors, and co-workers
1. Pay attention to detail, practice STAR - Stop, Think, Act, Review
1. Assists the surgical team with emergency situations.
1. Apply the correct technique of disinfection and follow manufacturer protocol
1. Utilize the appropriate sterilizer for sterilization purposes (i.e. immediate use sterilization vs. washer sterilizer)
1. Maintain surveillance of sterilization: maintain and monitor the daily records and indicators; follow recall procedures
Demonstrates actions that exhibit accountability and professional judgment
1. Exercise safe judgment in decision making.
2. Arrives to the unit on time
3. Handles difficult situations appropriately
4. Utilizes down time constructively
6. Complies with departmental policies and procedures
7. Able to identify own learning needs. Seeks out opportunities to meet needs and attend all required meeting/in-services/programs
8. Consistently participates in staff meeting and in-services to improve skills
9. Applies education and training from internal in-services to daily work to enhance personal knowledge and skills
5. Completes, documents, and reports all mandatory education and training
1. Organize supplies.
2. Count instruments, sponges, needles and other items as indicated by unit/hospital policy.
3. Properly store and rotate sterile supplies in the O.R. and sterile processing to maintain integrity of supplies.
1. Partner in the mission and upholds the core principles of the organization
2. Committed to diversity and recognizes value of cultural ethnic differences
3. Demonstrate personal and professional integrity
4. Maintain confidentiality at all times
1. Anticipate and responds to customer needs; follows up until needs are met
1. Demonstrate collaborative and respectful behavior
2. Partner with all team members to achieve goals
3. Receptive to others’ ideas and opinions
1. Contribute to a positive work environment
2. Demonstrate flexibility and willingness to change
3. Identify opportunities to improve clinical and administrative processes
4. Make appropriate decisions, using sound judgment
Cost Management/Financial Responsibility
1. Use resources efficiently
2. Search for less costly ways of doing things
: District of Columbia-WASHINGTON
Sheikh Zayed Campus
111 Michigan Avenue
: Allied Health
: Surgery COE
Regular / Temporary: R (Regular)
Position Status: FT - Full-Time
Work Schedule: M-F including weekends/call
: Apr 9, 2021, 1:40:46 PM