Nutrition Counselor - (210002AK)
Nutrition Counselor a paraprofessional support person who provides services to WIC clients such as, health screening, basic nutrition education, and referral for health care and other services. This position does not have supervisory responsibilities. Employees receive supervision from a designated higher-level staff person, with the credentials of a Competent Professional Authority (CP A) or above.
Associate's Degree 2 years of working at a WIC clinic (Required) Or
Bachelor's Degree Health education or Nutrition related field or Dietetic internship (Preferred)
Minimum Work Experience
2 years Worked in WIC/community healthcare setting (Required)
1 year Provided counseling in individual and group settings (Preferred)
Strong computer skills.
Demonstrated excellent oral and written communication skills.
Excellent customer service and time management skills.
Ability to work well in a multicultural and multidisciplinary environment.
Complete WIC para-professional competency training with a passing grade upon hiring
- Interviews participants using the DC WIC State agency provided assessment tool to obtain participant characteristics, health and dietary information.
- Educates participants regarding their rights and responsibilities, the food delivery system, WIC foods and certification schedule.
- Performs and records height and weight measurements.
- Performs and records biochemical measurements, such as hemoglobin or lead tests.
- Screens the health and nutritional status of participants, identifies and assesses for health risks.
- Provides basic nutrition education to non-high risk participants either individually or in a group setting with established curriculum and under supervision of a CP A or Nutrition Coordinator.
- Promotes the advantages of breastfeeding to all prenatal participants unless contraindicated for health reasons.
- Provides substance abuse and smoking cessation information.
- Provides referrals as appropriate and identified during the screening process.
- Completes food prescription for standard contract formulas in powder or concentrate form.
- Completes default food prescription for non-high risk women and children per WIC State agency policy.
- Refers high-risk participants, breastfeeding participants, and participants with questions or concerns beyond the CPPA scope of work to CPA in accordance with WIC State Agency policy
- Documents all contacts made with WIC participants in the DC WIC CARES system.
- Issues food benefits in accordance with WIC State Agency policy .
- Performs additional tasks assigned by supervisor, as needed.
Organizational Accountabilities (Staff)
- Anticipate and responds to customer needs; follows up until needs are met
- Demonstrate collaborative and respectful behavior
- Partner with all team members to achieve goals
- Receptive to others’ ideas and opinions
- Contribute to a positive work environment
- Demonstrate flexibility and willingness to change
- Identify opportunities to improve clinical and administrative processes
- Make appropriate decisions, using sound judgment
Cost Management/Financial Responsibility
- Use resources efficiently
- Search for less costly ways of doing things
- Speak up when team members appear to exhibit unsafe behavior or performance
- Continuously validate and verify information needed for decision making or documentation
- Stop in the face of uncertainty and takes time to resolve the situation
- Demonstrate accurate, clear and timely verbal and written communication
- Actively promote safety for patients, families, visitors and co-workers
- Attend carefully to important details - practicing Stop, Think, Act and Review in order to self-check behavior and performance
Primary Location: District of Columbia-WASHINGTON
Work Locations: Goldberg Anacostia 2101 Martin Luther King Jr. Ave SE WASHINGTON 20020
Job: Allied Health
Organization: Goldberg Cntr Cmnty Ped HlthRegular / Temporary: R (Regular)Position Status: FT - Full-TimeShift: VariableWork Schedule: 8-4:30 with some extended hours
Job Posting: Jul 29, 2021, 7:56:01 AM