Anesthesia Technician II - NIGHTS (Monday - Thursday, Four Tens) Must have Anesthesia Tech Experience - (210003PO)
Description The Anesthesia Technician II position assist the anesthesia provider in the delivery of patient care to pediatric surgical patients in a safe and organized manner. The Anesthesia Technician prepares equipment and work areas in all anesthetizing locations throughout the hospital for procedures requiring anesthesia. The Technician must be able to set-up, operate, and maintain monitoring and anesthesia equipment to support complex cases including but not limited to cardiac and trauma. This position will be responsible to maintain supplies and equipment in all anesthetizing locations. The Technician is also responsible for stocking anesthesia supplies in carts at the point of care.
The position description incorporates the core responsibilities of the job. It is recognized that other related duties not specifically mentioned might also be performed, and that not all responsibilities may be carried out depending on operational needs. As a member of the Perioperative Surgical Team and under the supervision and direction of a registered nurse and/or an anesthesiologist the Technician is expected to support the Anesthesiologist, Anesthesia Assistants and Anesthesia trainees in delivery of care to the patient to in various locations where anesthesia is provided. In addition, may provide patient transport and environmental service support as needed.
Qualifications Minimum Education
High School Diploma or GED (Required) And
Vocational Education Completion of an approved anesthesia technician curriculum, or CNH Anesthesia Technician curriculum (Preferred)
Minimum Work Experience
3 years Anesthesia Technician (Required) And
1 year Pediatrics, Trauma and Cardiac experience (Preferred) And
Human relation and interpersonal skills
Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Must be able to speak, read, write and understand primary language used in the workplace
Collaborate with the Anesthesia team in developing a plan of care for each patient
Assist in the set-up of anesthesia equipment and supplies. Assures all equipment is functioning before use
Understands the importance of verification of exposure to sterilization process, checking the integrity of sterile packaging and opening of appropriate supplies
Serves as a clinical resource to support and develop peers
Uses supplies in cost effective manner to avoid waste
Required Licenses and Certifications
Basic Life Support for Healthcare Provider (BLS) Upon Hire (Required)
Demonstrates Competency as an Anesthesia Technician
- Maintains and organizes the anesthesia environment and supplies to facilitate departmental function.
- Prepares operating room and off-site locations for indicated procedures to include setting-up, calibrating, and ensuring integrity of monitoring devices and setting up airway equipment and IV fluids.
- Ensures that location of specialized equipment (e.g. ultrasound machines) is tracked and returned after use to a central location to be available for the next use.
- Consults operating room schedule and anesthesia team to determine equipment needs for all procedures. Able to troubleshoot as needed.
- Assists the anesthesiologist in establishing, monitoring, intubation, extubation, and arterial cannulation; assist the anesthesiologist by setting up Hotlines, humidified circuits; understand the concepts of Difficult Airway Management.
- Assembles, cleans and stocks anesthesia equipment in assigned anesthetizing locations before and after the operative or diagnostic procedure; able to troubleshoot the anesthesia machine and equipment; set up cardiac and physiologic monitors such as calibrating arterial lines.
- Demonstrates the principles of aseptic technique as defined by AORN and Joint Commission for all anesthesia and surgical supplies and equipment
- Cleans anesthesia machines, cables, carts, blood warmers, heating blankets, and units, IV poles, etc. Consults with biomed as needed.
- Demonstrates good problem solving techniques related to supplies, instruments, equipment etc. in a timely organized manner.
- Maintains the cleanliness and organization of the anesthesia workroom, and all anesthesia work stations on a daily basis. Maintains supply stock in workrooms and all anesthesia work stations.
- Ensures operating rooms and workrooms have appropriate stock of disposable and durable medical equipment.
- Oversees the the monitoring and documentation of all anesthesia equipment for safety, quality control, preventative maintenance and cleanliness and ensure the standards of infection control are available met.
- Ensures proper functioning and integrity of anesthesia equipment.
- Troubleshoots anesthesia machine and equipment.
- Replaces soda absorber granules at the end of each week or sooner if needed.
- Reviews designated induction room/operating room equipment on a daily basis to ensure function and availability, include stretchers, oxygen tanks, oxygen gauges, and anesthesia monitors, suction devices.
- Cleans / HLD laryngoscope handles, blades, LMA and return them to their proper location.
- Documents and seek repair of malfunctioning anesthesia relate equipment.
Demonstrates the knowledge of risk and safety issues and uses measures to ensure optimal outcomes
- Assists with transport of patients to the OR.
- Speak up when team members appear to exhibit unsafe behavior or performance.
- Actively promote safety for patients, families, visitors and co-workers.
- Clean and sterilize largynscope handles, blades, LMA and return them to their proper location.
- Handle all sharps in a safe and protective manner in consideration of self and others.
- Apply the correct technique of disinfection and follow manufacturer protocols.
- Follows laboratory protocols and standards for specimen handling and blood products.
- Perform all activities following OSHA guideline and practices; observes aseptic principles.
- Continuously validate and verify information needed for decision making.
- Stop in the face of uncertainty and takes time to resolve the situation.
- Attend carefully to important details - practicing Stop, Think, Act and Review in order to self-check behavior and performance.
- Assist anesthesia department the surgical team with emergency situations.
- Check expiration dates of medication placed in the medication. Returns expired medication to the pharmacy.
- Assist in between case preparation. Place trash in appropriate containers and location.
Demonstrate actions that show accountability and professional judgment
- Demonstrate accurate, clear and timely verbal and written communication.
- Demonstrate actions that show accountability and professional judgment.
- Exercise safe judgment in decision making.
- Arrives to the unit on time.
- Handles difficult situations appropriately.
- Utilizes down time constructively.
- Complies with departmental policies and procedures.
- Able to identify own learning needs. Seeks out opportunities to meeting needs and attends all required meetings/in-services/programs.
- Consistently participates in staff meetings and in-services to improve skills.
- Completes, documents, and reports all mandatory education and training.
- Demonstrate accurate, clear, and timely verbal and written communication.
- Report patient/family concern/complaint to the charge nurse immediately.
Organizational AccountabilitiesOrganizational Accountabilities (Staff)
- Seek assistance from Coordinator, Manager, or Charge Nurse when confronted with an unfamiliar situation or problem.
- Anticipate and responds to customer needs; follows up until needs are met
- Demonstrate collaborative and respectful behavior
- Partner with all team members to achieve goals
- Receptive to others’ ideas and opinions
- Contribute to a positive work environment
- Demonstrate flexibility and willingness to change
- Identify opportunities to improve clinical and administrative processes
- Make appropriate decisions, using sound judgment
Cost Management/Financial Responsibility
- Use resources efficiently
- Search for less costly ways of doing things
- Speak up when team members appear to exhibit unsafe behavior or performance
- Continuously validate and verify information needed for decision making or documentation
- Stop in the face of uncertainty and takes time to resolve the situation
- Demonstrate accurate, clear and timely verbal and written communication
- Actively promote safety for patients, families, visitors and co-workers
- Attend carefully to important details - practicing Stop, Think, Act and Review in order to self-check behavior and performance
Primary Location: District of Columbia-WASHINGTON
Work Locations: Sheikh Zayed Campus 111 Michigan Avenue Washington 20010
Job: Allied Health
Organization: Surgery COERegular / Temporary: R (Regular)Position Status: FT - Full-TimeShift: NightWork Schedule: Mon. - Thu. 10 Hrs. Shift
Job Posting: Dec 16, 2021, 10:00:00 PM