Under the direct supervision of the Pharmacy Technician Supervisor and Pharmacy Leadership, the Messenger assists in routing
and delivering dispensed/prepared medications using the most efficient means possible. Will carry out various distributive
and communicative functions for patient care areas, such as notification that meds need to be routed to various units,
circulating medications from one unit to another when required, etc. Will also assist the pharmacists and technicians in
procedural areas for packaging, maintaining the cleanliness of medication delivery systems, equipment, and devices,
distribution of floor stock, and clerical record-keeping duties. The Messenger is expected to perform all functions/duties
efficiently and to comply with all regulatory bodies and requirements including HIPAA, DC Law, JCAHO and Hospital Policy and
High School Diploma or GED (Required)
Minimum Work Experience
1 year Previous experience as a pharmacy messenger highly preferred
• Decision Making and Judgment -Professional competence and common sense.
• Equipment -Basic knowledge of computer applications (i.e. MS Word, E-mail, etc.).
• Physical - ability to lift up to 30 pounds and stand and walk for long periods of time.
• Ability to work in a distribution type of environment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Deliver medications to patient care areas as needed within established specified timeframes using elevators, stairs, etc.
• Assist the pharmacists and technicians, according to assignment, to include: stocking and maintaining medications, and
supply inventory par levels in all work areas, as well as in drug carts.
• Assist with delivering and packaging medication as directed, often in emergent situations requiring expediency, accuracy,
• Remain abreast of departmental communications via emails, staff meeting minutes, hospital intranet, and distributed
• Comply with all regulatory bodies and requirements including HIPAA, DC Law, JCAHO, and Hospital / Departmental Policy
• Perform duties under the auspices of CNMC values 3 C's (Commitment, Connection, and Compassion)
• Display friendly, helpful behavior and sensitivity to the needs of patients, visitors, and coworkers
• Treat others with consideration, courtesy, and respect; demonstrate judgement and tact when dealing with others
• Perform duties willingly and with initiative
• Remain calm and continue to work effectively in stressful situations
• Demonstrate appearance and hygiene appropriate to the delivery of quality service.
• Communicate effectively with patients, visitors, and coworkers specific to age and level of development
• Cooperate with other CNMC departments or work groups
• Demonstrate sensitivity to cultural differences
• Foster mature professional relationships with fellow employees