Associate's Degree (Required)
Minimum Work Experience
5 years At least 5 years or more experience in neurodiagnostics. At least 1-2 years progressive leadership/supervisory experience. (Required)
Basic math, MS Outlook and intermediate Excel. Demonstrates cultural competence in delivering patient care. Demonstrates supportive and friendly behaviors. Contributes to promote a positive work environment. Demonstrates knowledge of peripheral nervous system, normal nerve and muscle anatomy and function and nerve conduction responses in normal and pathological circumstances.
Proficiency in 3 modalities: EEG, neurological intraoperative monitoring, nerve conduction studies/EMG, video (LTM), clinical SSEP/BAER, video operative EEG (WADA), video EEG with tilt table, video EEG with pet scan. 1-2 years progressive leadership/supervisory experience.
Required Licenses and Certifications
Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) (Required)
American Board of Technologist (Required)
Electrode Selection/Application and Equipment Maintenance
- Apply suitable electrodes and check their performance/impedances.
- Select predetermined electrode combinations as well as special combinations made necessary by the case under study.
- Keep track of special electrodes, head boxes, and other special equipment.
- Keep equipment in a clean operating condition to detect instrument malfunction and make minor maintenance adjustments or report need for major repairs.
- Operate routine/digital equipment as required for EEG, evoke potential and nerve conduction testing.
- Implements use of new equipment and updates of technology when available as ongoing teaching for techs and nurses.
Evoked Response Study
- Verify the integrity of the Evoked Potential instrument.
- Obtain a standard evoked response record with clearly resolved waveforms, with at least two replications demonstrating consistency of latency and amplitude measurements.
- Use appropriate recording and stimulus parameters.
- Use additional electrode derivations and other techniques as needed to enhance or clarify abnormality.
- Identify and eliminate or reduce artifacts contaminating the waveforms.
- Provide proper grounding of the patient and equipment.
Nerve Conduction and Special Studies
- Calibrate and make adjustments to the electrodiagnostic instrument/machine.
- Stimulate the nerve at the appropriate sites, accurately record the waveform responses from the nerves and muscles.
- Calculate nerve conduction velocities and amplitudes and prepare the data for interpretation by the physician.
- Recognize normal and abnormal patterns and artifacts.
- Intraoperative Somatosensory Evoked Potentials Electrocorticography Intracranial Monitoring
- Obtain standard recordings, recognize and mark artifacts and take appropriate steps to eliminate them; set up and record video EEG;
- Review video EEG and make summary file; describe all abnormal clinical manifestations observed during the test.
- Use activating procedures such as hyperventilation, photic-stimulation and sleep; obtain the patient’s cooperation for the best performance of these procedures.
- Select appropriate instrument settings and montages.
- Utilize techniques to bring out or enhance clinical symptoms.
- Accommodate for disabilities or special needs.
Patient Services and Documentation
- Prepare a basic data sheet (“Tech Sheet”); obtain patient history and evaluation reasons for referral; determine the patient’s mental age, mental state and comprehension level; note the patient’s overall physical condition and document information; list current medications/sedation and time of last dosage;
- Establish rapport with the patient and the patient’s family and interact on a level appropriate to the patient’s age and mental capacity.
- Confer with appropriate personnel concerning unanticipated or unfamiliar problems.
- Recognize different levels of education and adjust to meet the families’ needs.
- Address families’ anxiety level.
- Monitor and report concerns or complaints; communicate with nursing staff when there are patient issues
Neuroscience Monitoring Unit
- Ensure nursing staff as well as END Techs are made aware of changes in the day to day operations.
- Facilitate in services of/for changes as needed to insure optimum efficiency.
- Coordinate Video EEG services.
- Develop and implement contingency plans for unanticipated staffing problems.
- Ensure all paperwork for each patient is complete and available for physician to review as quickly as possible.
- Monitor completeness of medication history and caregiver’s description of the behavior of concern
- Ensure that the student follows policies and procedures of the site throughout their clinical experiences.
- Serves as professional example for Neurodiagnostics Technology interns to follow
- Instructs and demonstrates the 10-20-system of measuring , application of electrodes and performance of laboratory policies and procedures.
- Review studies with interns providing feedback regarding quality of recording and discuss various patterns seen on the study
Organizational Accountabilities (Staff)
- Anticipate and responds to customer needs; follows up until needs are met
- Demonstrate collaborative and respectful behavior
- Partner with all team members to achieve goals
- Receptive to others’ ideas and opinions
- Contribute to a positive work environment
- Demonstrate flexibility and willingness to change
- Identify opportunities to improve clinical and administrative processes
- Make appropriate decisions, using sound judgment
Cost Management/Financial Responsibility
- Use resources efficiently
- Search for less costly ways of doing things
- Speak up when team members appear to exhibit unsafe behavior or performance
- Continuously validate and verify information needed for decision making or documentation
- Stop in the face of uncertainty and takes time to resolve the situation
- Demonstrate accurate, clear and timely verbal and written communication
- Actively promote safety for patients, families, visitors and co-workers
- Attend carefully to important details - practicing Stop, Think, Act and Review in order to self-check behavior and performance