Lactation Peer Educator - (220000TJ)
Description The Lactation Peer Educator will counsel pregnant women on the importance of breastfeeding and provide training throughout pregnancy to prepare mothers for a successful breastfeeding experience. Will teach prenatal breastfeeding education classes and facilitate a mom-to-mom breastfeeding support group. Will interact with parents, clients, nutritionists and other staff under moderate supervision in a courteous manner. Will also perform study-related duties to include recruitment, data collection and entry of study data.
High School Diploma or GED .
Minimum Work Experience
0 years Breastfed an infant for at least 4 months.
Teaching and/or research experience preferred. .
Excellent customer service skills. Strong oral and written communications skills necessary to interact diplomatically and tactfully with diverse groups of people. Proficiency with MS Office and other computer applications as required. Proficiency with data management and analysis. Ability to consider multiple variables to determine proper course of action. Exercise good judgment in handling sensitive and confidential information and situations.
Required Licenses and Certifications
Breastfeeding Peer Counselor Competency Based Training Certificate or equivalent. .
- Provide support to breastfeeding women to help them choose, initiate, and continue to breastfeed through clinic visits and regular telephone contacts.
- Respond to inquiries for breastfeeding support as referred by community partners (WIC, Children’s Health Centers) and local birthing facilities.
- Facilitate breastfeeding classes and support groups.
- Refer mothers to the lactation specialist, or private physician for breastfeeding concerns beyond the scope of the peer counselor’s expertise.
- Attend scheduled monthly meetings and training sessions to increase knowledge to support the breastfeeding effort.
Research Project Support
- Complete required research training modules and data collection/management system training.
- Conduct research project recruitment and enrollment activities both onsite and at approved DC birthing facilities.
- Collect study data according to approved protocol.
- Maintain database of study data with respect for participant confidentiality protocol.
- Keep immediate supervisor advised of any difficulties encountered in performance of duties.
- Maintain a weekly log of time spent in assigned duties for approval by immediate supervisor or designee.
- Report as required to the immediate supervisor or designee to discuss caseload, ask questions, and receive direction.
- Maintain timely documentation of all client interactions in appropriate system(s).
General Office Support
- Conduct orientation and provide shadowing opportunities for trainees completing breastfeeding medicine elective.
- Assist with outreach efforts and activities.
- Maintain end of the month reports and follow grant/research project guidelines.
- Complete clients’ charts and forms as needed for breastfeeding related matters.
- Other support duties as needed.
- Dependability and reliability with respect to attendance, punctuality, and availability during regularly assigned work periods.
- Allocation and planning of time for completing assignments, and the ability to anticipate obstacles to meeting requirements.
Organizational Accountabilities (Staff)
- Anticipate and responds to customer needs; follows up until needs are met
- Demonstrate collaborative and respectful behavior
- Partner with all team members to achieve goals
- Receptive to others’ ideas and opinions
- Contribute to a positive work environment
- Demonstrate flexibility and willingness to change
- Identify opportunities to improve clinical and administrative processes
- Make appropriate decisions, using sound judgment
Cost Management/Financial Responsibility
- Use resources efficiently
- Search for less costly ways of doing things
- Speak up when team members appear to exhibit unsafe behavior or performance
- Continuously validate and verify information needed for decision making or documentation
- Stop in the face of uncertainty and takes time to resolve the situation
- Demonstrate accurate, clear and timely verbal and written communication
- Actively promote safety for patients, families, visitors and co-workers
- Attend carefully to important details - practicing Stop, Think, Act and Review in order to self-check behavior and performance
Primary Location: District of Columbia-Washington
Sheikh Zayed Campus
111 Michigan Avenue
Job: Allied Health
Organization: Goldberg Cntr Cmnty Ped Hlth
Position Status: R (Regular) - FT - Full-Time
Work Schedule: 8am to 4:30
Job Posting: Mar 29, 2022, 1:42:17 PM